Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, I am aware that it's not November. I'm also aware that in the United States we focus on one day in November to be "thankful". Well, I'm breaking that today. I don't know that it's a rule or anything, but I know that I, personally, have not really ever had a time when I've expressed how thankful I am for someone or something other than that day every year. Today, I'd like to share with you what I'm thankful for...

This little girl:


I'm just not sure that there are words to express how thankful I am to have my little chica in my life!! What, you may ask, has brought this up? Well, this tiny little member of society has brought this up:


This... is Kayleigh, and you can find her story here. I have been watching this family's story for almost a week now, but they have known Kayleigh since last summer. Kayleigh was born VERY prematurely. So prematurely that her parents were asked if they wanted to abort her as she was still young enough developmentally that it would have been legal to abort her. Her parents chose to carry her as long as she would last in the womb, then deliver her. Kayleigh has been fighting for her life on the world's largest, and scariest, rollercoaster. Her parents have blogged every triumph and every setback. I just couldn't imagine having to go through what these people have gone through. As I sit here today, little Kayleigh is still struggling in the hospital. A place she has never gotten to leave. Kayleigh has never seen the great outdoors, never breathed in a breath of fresh air, never left the hopital. The doctors are telling her parents that she is now "brain dead" and her trip "home" to heaven is closer than they would like to think. I would ask that all of you pray for little Kayleigh, her parents, her two older siblings and the rest of her family and friends who are affected by all of this.

Sure... it's taken me a couple of hours to write this blog because Maddy has needed me to entertain her, needed her diaper changed, needed some breakfast, but, seriously?!?! Who cares!!! I am so THANKFUL to have her in my life and to be able to experience all those things!!

My challenge to all of you is to take a moment today to be thankful for something. Let's make Thanksgiving a more regular holiday!!

I'd like to leave you with this hard to believe picture of Kayleigh:


Love you guys!

Have a great weekend! I know that Maddy and I will!! :)

3 comments:

Peggie said...

Wow!!! That was a very powerful blog. Thank you for making us all think about the things we have to be thankful for. And in our family we have LOTS!!!

Thanks for sharing....

Love ya!!

Sue said...

Loved your blog - I always do - thanks for sharing all your thought and causing us to pause and be thankful also.
Love, Sue

towheyj@bellsouth.net said...

Outstanding blog!!!! Life takes some weird twists and for some they are good and for some they are challenges. You have every right to be thankful for your precious little being, hold her close and love her. She is indeed a great gift.
Love.