Thursday, December 17, 2009

MIA

I feel I owe everyone an explanation for our blog-land absence...

It's a good one... I PROMISE!!

Maddy has had her first fever this week. Monday morning we went to our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting. We do this every other Monday. When I went to pick her up (she hangs out with all the kids her age [called the "Moppettes"], while I attend the meeting [read: brunch and chat time with other moms]), she was sitting in her teacher's rocking chair. They told me that she had been very "mellow" the whole time (whole time = 2 hours)... I didn't think much of it, but it should have been a red flag. When is Maddy ever "mellow"?? She seemed fine all day, but I kept noticing that her head felt warm to the touch, so when it was bath time, I decided to take her temperature just for good measure... 101.7... Uh-Oh!!

Tuesday she woke up with the same fever, so I called the doctor's office to make an appointment. When I got the nice lady who makes the appointments on the line, she told me that the only appointment she had left was at 3 PM (the office opens at 8... I called at 8:45). She suggested that I leave a message with the nurse and ask her opinion since there had been lots of calls like mine... I left a message and an hour and a half later, the nurse called back, asked some questions and convinced me that it was probably just a 24 hour bug. Oh yes, I forgot to mention the part where when Maddy woke up ridiculously early, I brought her back to bed with me. When we were laying back down, she asked me for milk, so I gave her some (hesitant with the fever, but I did it anyway). No sooner did she chug the milk, she started to fuss. Being the concerned Mom that I am, I pulled her onto my chest (I was still laying down) only to have her toss her milk all over me... Fun stuff. It was time to get up, change clothes (for obvious reasons) and get our day started... All day Maddy had the fever, and before bed Tuesday night, the fever climbed to 102.3... 103 is when they suggest "immediate medical attention".

Wednesday morning the fever was still lingering, so I decided we were going to the doctor and no one was going to change my mind!! We got an appointment for 1:45. Of course, when we got there, Maddy didn't have a fever. The doctor checked her ears, throat, lungs and gave her a flu test. All the results were good news. He concluded that she has some sort of a virus... I forgot to mention earlier that she developed a rash on Friday afternoon that I self-diagnosed as a viral rash which usually comes at the end of a virus (I thought she already had the virus and I just didn't know it). So, we were told to just wait it out and let it run it's course. Of course, once we were home again, I retook her temperature and it was back over 100. At this point, I wondered if there was something wrong with my thermometer... I tried a different one (same method) and got a result within 2 tenths of a degree. I'd say the thermometer is pretty accurate...

This morning we woke up FEVER FREE!!! As the day has progressed, it's crept up just a little, but I'm considering anything under 100 as remaining fever free. That being said, we've been fever free all day!! I will say, however, the rash is coming back with a vengeance... I guess this time around we're going to have the viral rash before AND after the virus... Provided her temp is still below 100 in the morning, we'll go to playgroup (mostly just to get out of the house)...

So, there you have it... My excuse for not blogging lately!!

I hope all of you have good excuses, too. Inquiring minds want to know what you've been up to!!

Love you guys!! :)

4 comments:

Katie said...

P.S. Needless to say the reason for no new pictures or videos is that "Miss America" as I like to call her, has not exactly been in a picture-taking or movie-making mood this week!! Hopefully there will be some soon!! :)

Peggie said...

OK, so it took me two times through this blog before I figured out that "Mia" was actually M.I.A..... I kept wondering who "Mia" was and what she had to do with all of this!!! Ha ha ha!!!

I'm glad Maddy is feeling better. I hope you both can catch up on your sleep now.....

Love ya!!!

CShore said...

I'm glad to hear your diagnosis was correct Dr. Mom. Hope she gets to feeling better soon.

JP2E said...

Thank goodness the little one is OK. Nothing hurts a parent worse than a sick child! You want to be sick for them to make it all better.
Have you considered the possibility of an allergic reaction to something in your house? Perhaps a Christmas tree or other holiday decoration. It is possible the same irritant is also at her school since the holidays bring out similar items at both places.
Take good care of the little darlin' and send more silly pix and videos...