Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Few Things...

:::::::The Election:::::::

As I feared, Senator Obama was elected as our new president last night. This was a difficult thing for me to swallow. I have only voted in one other election, and I got my way with that one. I was no where near as passionate during the last election, however. I am not writing this to spark any political debates. I am simply speaking my mind... and hoping that that is not a right that is taken away from me in the next 4 (or God forbid 8) years. I jokingly told Bryan last night that I thought we should move to Canada. He didn't see the humor... seeing as how he fights for our country with the Air Force. I would like to point out, though, that this morning he left our house around 6:00 AM to go on a TDY (Temporary Duty Yonder) trip out of the country. How convienient?!?! Our household is concerned with what will happen to us, Bryan's career and the overall well-being of our country while Mr. Obama is the president. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised with the way things turn out. As I told Bryan last night, it's done... it's over... now all we can do is hang on for the ride and hope for the best. We have to keep a good attitude, or we'll definitely be miserable. As my dad would say... It is what it is...



:::::::New Recipe:::::::

On to something a little happier... last night we tried a new recipe. It was EXCELLENT!!! For anyone who is interested, here is the recipe:


Three Cheese Chicken Penne Pasta Bake:

1 1/2 cups multigrain penne pasta, uncooked
1 pkg. (9 oz.) fresh spinach leaves
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 jar (14 1/2 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
2 oz. (1/4 of 8 oz. pkg.) Philadelphia Neufchatel Cheese, cubed
1 cup Kraft 2% Milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
2 Tbsp. Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese

Heat oven to 375. Cook pasta, adding spinach to boiling water for last 1 minute.

Cook and stir chicken and basil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add sauce and tomatoes; bring to boil. Simmer 3 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in Neufchatel cheese.

Drain pasta mixture; return to pan. Stir in chicken mixture and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Spoon into 2 quart baking dish.

Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 3 minutes.


:::::::Maddy:::::::

Miss Maddy is doing well. She is 4 weeks old today. She will officially be a month old on the 8th (Saturday). She was up for a long time this morning, then we went to lunch with some of my former coworkers. She, for the first time in her short little life, did not sleep through lunch. I got to eat just a little before she wanted to be held. I realized that she was probably hungry, so I just held her trying to keep her pacified for the rest of the "meal", got a to-go box, and we headed home (after dropping our friends back off at the "Y"). Once home, she ate a little lunch, and I finished mine. She was really good, though. She's started forming a little bit of a schedule... at least at nighttime, that is. We do bath around 9, she eats a little, goes to sleep, then sleeps until 2ish, then again until 5ish, then again until 8ish. I will take that!!! Some people actually start their day around 5, so you could count that as us only getting up once during the night!! No matter how frustrated she and I get with one another while we're still learning about each other, we still love each other like CRAZY!! I think Bryan misses her already, too. He sent me a text message this morning asking me to give her a kiss for him. I'm so glad that he loves her as much as I do. Now if he could only grow a motherly bone somewhere in his body, we'd be doin A-OK!! HaHaHa. Just kidding. I just had to put that in there because I always pick on him about that!

Miss Maddy has no idea what's in store for her for this weekend. My old roommate Leslie is flying in on Friday night and will be here until Sunday afternoon. I'm SO STINKIN EXCITED!! Maddy will be excited once she gets to meet her. I'm sure of it!! :)

Oh well... Maddy is napping, and I'm going to have to wake her up in a few so that we can go for a walk with our friend Jessica. I'll blog again soon, and hopefully with some pictures next time!

Love you guys!! :)

8 comments:

Olivia said...

I was thinking about you especially with your husband in the airforce. I know that must make your nervous. My brother-in-law is in the situation too and I just pray they will be safe. But your right, there is nothing we can do anymore about the decision. I am not much for political stuff either but I just don't get a good feeling. But life keeps going I guess and Maddy is a part of beauty and innocence in this world! I rather read about her! LOL!!!! We have to keep each other sane somehow right? Have a great time this weekend! You have some amazing friends and family!

CShore said...

Yeah, I almost posted similar sentiments last night, but I decided to delete it instead since I figured I sounded a bit down and didn't want to post a negative blog.

We watched BET for a while as they were covering the election. That's all I'll say about that. The other thing I decided last night is that dreadlocks are the new mullet. When pulled back into a ponytail (as their lead correspondent had his) it is totally business in the front, party in the back. Dang, guess I said too much about that!

Cheer up Katie, at least they won't turn the air force base into a homeless shelter like they'll do with fire stations! Just Kidding (I hope!!!).

Talk to you later.

Papa Jay said...

Katie and Bryan,

While the election did not go as many of us would have liked there are two things to remember:

First our God is in control. We may not understand His reasoning but He knows.

Second, we are told to pray for our leaders. With Obama as our President, we will just have to spend more time praying for him.

The good news is that the Republicans kept 40 seats, so hopefully they can keep a very liberal judge off the supreme court.

JP2E said...

Personally, I voted for Maddy!!! LOL
I am still disapoinyed in the election results, but content with my choice. Chris makes some very sagatious observations...

Mike 2e said...

I too was not that thrilled with the election, however if this president is like most he will never live up to most of the things he promised to do to get elected. Only this time it's someone else that will be disappointed and not me.
As for the recipe I must say that anything that starts with "three cheese" is my favorite.
Hang in there.

Sue said...

I am very upset about the election but I am trying to get out of the depression today. We live to fight another day.
As Jim always sayd, it's a good thing we don't get all the govenment we pay for. Our work is cut out for us - we have to pray and be very pro-active to re-instate our views.

Peggie said...

I must agree with everyone's sentiments.....Our country is great and "We shall overcome" this too!!!

Keep your chin up and just let Bryan know we are all behind him and very proud of the job he is doing and to be able to call him "FAMILY"!!! Love to all in your little household!!!

Bill T said...

Now is the time to see what "OUR NEW PRESIDENT" will do. When we disagree with him we all need to let our congress men and senators know how we feel, and that we have much more power over there re-election than a national canidate. The power of the pen has worked for me in the past.