Friday, February 6, 2009

Something to talk about...

Maddy and I have decided that our theme song for today will be "Let's Give Them Something to Talk About"...

Maddy woke up around 3:30 this morning which is a pretty normal time for her to need to eat. I was starting to feel a little sick to my stomach, but I thought I was just overly tired. I have always gotten belly aches when I am too tired. After feeding Maddy, I put her back to bed and I went back to bed, too. Around 4:45 I realized that I was still tossing and turning and I wasn't feeling any better. THEN... It hit... I was in the bathroom getting sick. Of course it couldn't just be a simple case of one end wrecking havoc... NOPE... We got to do the sit down you know where with a trash can in your lap routine. Fun times, right?

After this, I felt MUCH better. Maddy woke up again around 5:45. Not completely out of the ordinary. No sooner did I finish feeding her, I was having to lay her down (still wide awake) and running to take cover. 6:00 this morning... Round 2.

At this point, I was getting desperate. I called my friend Jessica who lives 2 streets over in a panic and she came rushing over. After my 7 AM sick call, we loaded up in the car and headed to the ER. One more sicky moment around 8 AM, and I was, THANKFULLY, finished getting sick. They admitted me to a room in the ER and gave me a bag of fluids. I was pretty dehydrated by this point.

This is where I got REALLY lucky! HaHaHa. There were 2 EMT students who needed to learn how to put in an IV. The fellow who was learning was NOT GOOD! I think I was his first ever!! After practically mutilating my arm, the nurse helped. Then, they still needed to draw some blood (he had done such a poor job with the IV that they couldn't use that stick to draw the blood too). So, my friend tried on the other arm. After mutilating THAT arm, the nurse, again, helped him and drew some blood.

We finally left the hospital around noon and headed to Wal*Mart to get my anti-nausea prescription filled and get some food for lunch. I tried to eat chicken noodle soup once we got home, but it just wasn't appetizing. I've had some crackers, a little sprite and a little water. I'm feeling MUCH better tonight. I'm far from 100%, but I think I might just live!!

The final diagnosis? A GI virus. The treatment? Let it run it's course.

THANK GOD that Bryan will be home after the weekend!!!! Jessica was a lifesaver today, too!! She stayed with Maddy in the waiting room the entire time and kept her entertained. Maddy did GREAT!! We've been hanging out keeping things very low key this afternoon. I've decided that once Maddy goes to sleep tonight, I'm heading for the land of nod myself!!

So, like I said, "Let's Give Them Something to Talk About!!"

We love you guys!!

Have a GREAT weekend!! :)

3 comments:

CShore said...

Hey, I was starting to wonder. I'm glad that you are on the road to feeling better. Get some rest!

JP2E said...

We prefer to have GOOD news to "talk about". Hope you get over this very quickly. Too bad Chris or uncle Tom could not be there to insert the IV, at least they know what they are doing...

Big Jim said...

We are so sorry you are feeling puny. The last time that happened to me they put me on the BEAT diet. That's bananas, rice, apple sauce and tea. It works great.
Hope you feel better today.
Oh! those medical students can create havoc till they learn what they are doing.
Love.